Friday, April 29, 2011

Back at Mayo

Hi Friends! It's Julie writing this time...just Dad and I on this trip. We ended up coming back to the Mayo Clinic yesterday after Dr. Ellis found some abnormal pockets of fluid in my abdomen. Today, we did blood work, urine samples, and a very uncomfortable enema x-ray to examine the issues more thoroughly. Dad and I met with Dr. Aggarwal and Dr. Dozios this afternoon hoping for some good news. Unfortunately, that did not come. I have two abcesses in my abdomen about 3 centimeters each. I also have some fluid build up under my scar from the last surgery. From some of the other indicators, they are certain that my Crohn's Disease is already flaring again. That is not at all what they had hoped to see, especially so soon after the last surgery. So, I will go in Monday to have fluids drained, do an MRI, and possibly have some surgery to insert a seton into another fistula that has formed. We will assess more then. We were also told that, most likely, in a few weeks when the infection is cleared up, they will do a permanent diversion of my colon and I will have a permanent external bag. That was really overwhelming at first...it wasn't even on my radar as a possibility. However, after talking to Robin, Mom, Dad and most importantly, God, I know that this is not the worst possible thing that could happen to me. I know, for a fact, that when I had it before, my quality of life was excellent. I also know that right now, it is not. I have the best doctors and nurses on my side both here and at home, and I trust them very much. I know we can handle whatever this disease throws at us. God is good...all the time and so are all of the amazing friends and family I have supporting me. Dad and I can feel all of your love and prayers. Thanks so much to each of you.

9 comments:

  1. You are an amazing women and have an awesome attitude which is half the battle! You have a wonderful support system and are loved by sooo many people! If God brings you to it....He will bring you through it! Praying right now for you! Debbie Brenneman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you continually are in our thoughts and prayers. We can't wait to see the Cates clan in Birmingham! We love you!
    Georganne & Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jules! I am so sorry that this is happening to you! Like you said, God has a plan! I have a good friend here in Denver. She has had Crohn's disease for years pretty severe. Let me know if you would ever want to talk with her. Just email me or facebook me! You are all in my prayers! Love ya!
    Kristi Bridgewater

    ReplyDelete
  4. JuJu- You are my hero! Every day you inspire me every day to be great and positive and compassionate. I love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Girl - As my friend Joey Black says, "You just need the right shoes to go with that bag." So here's the important question: what size do you wear? I'll bring them with me to Birmingham.
    Much, much love,
    Sue K. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Julie, you're amazing. I love you. Get better, whatever it takes, and come home soon...sending great big hugs your way.

    Robin V

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could be there to give you a hug. Just know you are surrounded by love and support. You are a strong woman, full of love and laughter. You can do this. Love you, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie! You are such a positive person, I love it. Life is not fair and God only gives us what we can handle. I hope you feel better soon so you will be ready for the Riverfest! I am looking forward to seeing you and all my buddies in Salina. God bless you and be with you each minute during this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jules,

    We missed you today. Your smile can brighten a gloomy day. So sorry that you have to go through this. You have been in our prayers and will continue to be. Your faith in God and your positive outlook on life will see you through. God is good all the time and he will provide for you. We love you much.

    Loren and Shirley

    ReplyDelete